mash.it.up.

One of the meals I planned out was for a fall veggie stew.  I got this brilliant idea from Kath a few weeks ago.  I played with the recipe a bit and here is what I ended up with:

Serves 6:

appx. 3lb butternut squash

2 carrots [next time will only use 1 for less carrot flavor]

2-3 parsnips [looks like a white carrot]

2 large red potatoes

2-3 cloves garlic

3T olive oil

16oz. creamy tomato soup

16oz. butternut squash soup

1c. veggie broth

1/2c. canned pumpkin

1/2 – 1t. cayenne pepper [more to taste]

1t. chili powder

appx. 3t. fresh grated ginger

fresh ground pepper to taste

salt to taste

Pre-heat oven to 400*

Since the veggies already have a lot of natural sweetness, I wanted to add more savory/spicy seasonings.  You could easily make this a sweeter version with brown sugar and cinnamon type seasonings, along with some of the spice. 

If you peel your butternut squash you will be able to get the most out of it.  Peeling it was a task…my arm was TIRED!  Peel until you start to see a more orangey color on the body of the squash.

_MG_4836

peeled.

_MG_4850

I love Pacific brand organic soups.  I had the creamy tomato soup leftover in the fridge.  You could use 32oz. of the tomato or of the butternut or mix 1/2 and 1/2.  I mixed, but would probably use all tomato next time.

_MG_4870

butternut + carrots + parsnips + potatoes + garlic                      

_MG_4862

Peel + chop all the veggies and garlic.  Toss with 3T olive oil/pepper/salt/cayenne/chili powder.  Roast in oven for 40min.  Toss once or twice while cooking.

Heat a large pot [on med-low, just before veggies are done] with the tomato soup/butternut soup/veggie broth/grated ginger/pumpkin.  Add the roasted veggies and start mashing.

_MG_4878

Mash until desired consistency is met.  If you want a smooth stew, use a hand blender.  Taste and add more of whatever seasonings you like.  If you don’t like ginger, you can definitely leave it out. 

You can’t have stew/soup without something to dip in it!!  I bought some Haute Cuisine basil/pepper crackers and also used the rest of the ciabatta bread.  I cut the rolls in half and added butter and garlic/salt/parsley spice mix.  Then I cut into strips and broiled for a few quick minutes.

_MG_4887

Took my bowl outside for some natural light.  Love the orangey, fall color!  It had a good amount of spice to it, but a little too strong with the carrot flavor.  I will use 1 carrot next time.  The carrots also have the hardest time mashing up, which might have made for a more pronounced flavor.  Next time, I would also add about 1/4c. of cream/whole milk to give it a little creamier consistency.

_MG_4888

The Jew in me has been craving Matzo Ball Soup!!  I will give it my first attempt, ever, tonight!  My grandparents were always the one to make it.  Hopefully I can pull it off!!

Price re-cap: Not including ciabatta b/c I had it leftover from the steak/veg dinner.  Also had the tomato soup in the fridge and potatoes/olive oil/spices in the pantry.

2 organic loose carrots – $.45

organic pumpkin - $1.95

butternut squash - $2.26

organic butternut squash soup - $3.19

365 brand organic veggie broth - $1.99

bag of parsnips – $2.99

Haute Cuisine crackers - $2.89

Total - $15.72/6 servings = $2.62/serving – CHEAP!!!

Usually people have stray potatoes in the pantry, most of those spices and olive oil too.  If you don’t have the ginger, just buy a small piece and it will cost about .25 cents.  This should be a really affordable and super filling meal!

Enjoy!

Ashley

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Zaidys (downtown and in Cherry Creek) has the best Matzoh Ball soup in the area, at least to the best of my knowledge. Nothing beats my Nana's, but Zaidy's does a pretty darn good job!!!

ota.bars said...

Good to know! Thanks!! =)

Beth @ Kitchen Minions said...

Wow cheap! That sounds like a delicious meal!

Post a Comment